Sunday, August 30, 2009

The One Where Mothers Know More than Mister Driving Instrutor

Ah, the bestowing of the driver's license. I don't think any of us will ever forget that moment in time when we obtained that little card. That little card meant so much more than the ability to drive a car - it meant that society trusted us. Society had decreed through that little card that we were grown up and responsible and should be allowed to go places and do things.

Guess what? That little card doesn't mean crap to your mother. This may come as a total bummer, but I think the other parents will understand what I mean. Just because you hoodwinked Mister Driving Instructor doesn't mean you can hoodwink me. You see, I have been watching you. While you've had your "learner's permit," I have been pretending to sit there enjoying the scenery, but in reality, I have been watching you like you were the last chocolate in a See's box.

Here's what Mister Driving Instructor doesn't know. You are far more concerned with what music is playing than you are the other cars. And guess what else? I see you visibly shaking and breaking out in a sweat when your cell phone rings. Of course, you won't answer it in front of Mister Driving Instructor, or in front of me, but I see the panic in your eyes...you might be missing SOMETHING IMPORTANT. There might be SOMETHING IMPORTANT about some vampire character and you will never know about it because you are driving with your mother. And you know what else? Just last week I had to remind you not to drive over the curb in front of the nice policeman. Yep, I am on to you. That little card may be in your wallet, but you still have a lot to prove to me. You got that?

On an unrelated note, it looks like we are out of eggs and dog food. And here I was, just about to take a nap. I suppose I could probably trust you just this once...

9 comments:

  1. I remember wanting my license so bad that I worried I wouldn't get it on the first day after my 16th birthday. My kids, though, I have had to convince to get theirs. I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some friends with elderly teens (like 19) who haven't bothered either. I don't get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never bothered to get mine until I was almost 17-the horror! I had a brother with a truck who was kind enough to let me tag along all the time.
    I'm sure your kids could (or have) told you about some "experiences" while driving with me. One involved a red light and us going right through it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heehee, we had this experience with the pool patch this summer. Just because the 16-year-old lifeguard who barely watched you swim across the pool says you can now jump off the diving board does not mean you can do that without me watching!

    Love the line "watching you like you were the last chocolate in a See's box." =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey - it's ebiffany. I so agree with you on the whole driving instructor thing. My daughter is so not happy with me right now! The thing is, I drove BEFORE I had a license - yeah, that's right. I was so exicted to drive. Yet, I have had to push my daughter to take this step into adulthood. She is probably on to me - she knows that I will make her take her little brothers to football and take the movies back to Hollywood Video before they close. There's not a problem with that, is there? She is usually out on the weekends until midnight anyway - I might as well make her run an errand for me . . . right? See ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I recall, Ebiff, you did more than just drive before 16...wasn't there some demolition to the car and garage?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mother always knows best.........I miss you
    jason

    ReplyDelete
  8. The day after I got my learners permit, my dad wrecked his car. Since he had an hour commute each day, he took my mom's car and we were left to spend the summer "auto-less". Of course, this also meant I couldn't get the requisite number of hours driving with a parent on a learner's permit to get my actual license. I was convinced my dad wrecked his car on purpose just to delay my license. Yeah, I was a typical "its all about me" teenager. Love the blog!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Q, that does sound like a special kind of torture for a teenager. I am actually considering it.

    ReplyDelete